What Is Boating While Intoxicated in New York?
Although many people associate the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple with the State of New York, many others remember New York for the miles and miles of beautiful waterways found throughout the state. In fact, there are over half a million boats registered in the State of New York. Boating enthusiasts could not ask for a more scenic and diverse area in which to enjoy the water. If you are one of the thousands of watercraft owners in the State of New York, it is imperative that you understand the state's boating while intoxicated laws to ensure both your safety and the safety of others on the water.
Many people are unaware that "boating while intoxicated," or BWI, is a criminal offense, just as its dry land counterpart: driving while intoxicated (DWI). New York's BWI laws are very similar to the state's DWI laws. Navigation Law § 49-a(2)(b), for example, makes it a crime to operate a vessel with a blood-alcohol concentration, or BAC, of 0.08 percent or greater. If the vessel is a "public" vessel the per se BAC level cannot exceed 0.04 percent. In addition, and also like its dry land counterpart, New York makes it illegal to "operate a vessel upon the waters of the state while his ability to operate such vessel is impaired by the consumption of alcohol." In essence, this allows for the possibility of a conviction for BWI even if your BAC level was below 0.08 percent or if you refused to submit to the chemical test.
For a first-time conviction of New York's BWI law you face up to a year in jail and up to a $500 fine. If you have a previous conviction for BWI, or a previous conviction for another alcohol or drug related driving offense, you could be charged with a felony and will face increased penalties if convicted. In addition, you could have your boat's registration suspended and your boating privileges suspended for six months or longer should you be convicted of boating while intoxicated in New York.
If you have been charged with boating while intoxicated in the State of New York it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced New York criminal defense attorney as soon as possible because a conviction for BWI could also carry a number of unwelcome non-judicial penalties and/or could be used to increase the penalties in a future DWI or BWI case.
Arrested? Hurt in Accident?
Get Help 24/7
- Am I Allowed to Represent Myself in My New York DWI Case? Why Should I Hire an Attorney?
- Can I Do a Treatment Program in New York City?
- Can I Use Mouthwash to Avoid DWI in New York City?
- Can the Police Search Your Home Without a Warrant in New York?
- Do You Know Your Rights?
- Do You Need a Lawyer before You're Charged?
- DWI Stop -- How Do I Respond When Asked If I Have Been Drinking?
- Free Report: Who will be on the Jury for my Criminal Jury Trial in New York?
- Free Report: Are You Eligible for Drug Court in New York?
- Free Report: Constructive Possession in New York - What It Is and Why It Matters
- Holiday DWI Checkpoints in New York
- How Can I Get Evidence Thrown Out or Suppressed in New York?
- How Can You Defend Someone You Know Is Guilty?
- How Long Can I Go to Jail for Selling Drugs in New York?
- How Much Will a DWI Lawyer Cost in New York City?
- How Often Do Medical Errors Occur?
- If a Police Officer Asks You to Take a Field Sobriety Test What Should You Do?
- I Was Caught Smuggling Drugs – Will I Go to Federal Prison?
- I Was Notified of a Probation Violation Hearing in New York. Do I Need an Attorney?
- My Lawyer Told Me to Refuse the Chemical Test in New York, Is that Right?
- New York Construction Sites Accidents: Fatalities and Safety Violations [Infographic]
- Penalties for Alcohol and Drug-Related Driving Violations in New York [infographic]
- Should I Take a Breathalyzer Test in New York?
- Should I Talk to the Police or Prosecutor after I am Arrested in New York or New Jersey?
- The Crime of Rape in the State of New York
- Top Five Mistakes Defendants Make in a New York DWI Case
- Types of Medical Errors
- What Are Pre-Trial Hearings?
- What Are the Penalties for Possession or Sale of Marijuana in New York?
- What Are the Possible Defenses to a DWI Charge?
- What Are the Possible Defenses to New York Sex Crimes Charges?
- What Are the Possible Defenses to the Sale of Drugs in New York?
- What Are the Possible Penalties for Drug Possession in New York?
- What Are the Possible Penalties for DWI in New York?
- What Behavior and Patterns the Police Look for When Searching Out Intoxicated Drivers
- What If the Police Didn't Read Me My Rights before Arresting Me for DWI in New York?
- What Is a Line-Up and Show Up?
- What Is a Misdemeanor DWI in New York City?
- What Is an Arraignment In New York?
- What Is an Illegal Search in New York?
- What Is a Search and Seizure in New York?
- What Is a Sentence Enhancement in New York?
- What Is a Wrongful Death Case?
- What Is Boating While Intoxicated in New York?
- What Is Constructive Possession?
- What Is the HGN Test?
- What Is the Officer Looking For When the Officer Asks Me to Follow a Pen Light?
- What Is the Punishment for Possession of Cocaine in New York City?
- What Is the Punishment for Possession of Oxycodone in New York City?
- What Takes Place at a Criminal Trial?
- Who Will Be on the Jury for My Criminal Jury Trial in New York?
- Will I Be Drug Tested in Court in New York?